Sunday, 27 August 2006
I've been meaning to blog this since my weekend in Christchurch, but I suppose I haven't because I didn't want to let go of it just yet. But nevertheless this is some of what it meant to me, in a few words.
Flying through glorious dawn
Love every moment
Shaking in my shoes
Nothing like the thrill of this
Above natural laws
For a few hours
I am whoever I play
In amongst strangers
Pause and feel stillness
The river of time and motion
Rushing past my feet
Stop and breathe in place
Tranquillity comes, watching
As well as doing
Easier it is
To be alone when one is home
And not a stranger
Place of growing up...
Before it grows stranger to me,
Make it mine again
~ posted by Anna @ 9:55 PM
Saturday, 5 August 2006
Sometimes I Wonder
...and I should.
Now and then it occurs to me to ask (no one in particular) who makes the cardboard tubes for toilet rolls and who glues the end of each roll down just so. Who created the white plastic cord for my iPod's headphones, or the little perforated metal disc that the sound comes through? Who makes the keys in my keyboard and who presses out each square in our linoleum floor? Or who used
to make this sort of thing, and which machine has taken over their job?
I take so much for granted knowingly, but I take millions of things for granted un
knowingly. Sometimes I remember and it ought to give me pause... not often enough, I say.
Although perhaps one could say there are more important things, or more touching, natural things, personal things, which should take up my attention and my sympathy; what might I be in this life to look after?
Nevertheless I am glad that an innate compassion stops me in my tracks now and then. A sense of wonder and horror at the unnaturalness of our world that so many people take for granted, which I cannot always afford to overlook. I've tried to write poems about this in the past but my humble words can't cover it, not so far anyway.
This isn't an important post but it's a hint at endlessly trivial, yet important things. "Truth, like a blanket that always leaves your feet cold." I'll stop now.
~ posted by Anna @ 7:43 PM
Tuesday, 1 August 2006
A catch-up on memes.
1. Do you have a photo blog? . . . Nope. Though I've been thinking of starting one, as an easier and more beautiful blog to maintain than this one.
2. How many pets do you own, and what are their names? . . . Three beautiful Burmese cats, Samwise
. Also two deeply boring goldfish called Ken and Otto.
3. How many times a week does the carpet in your house get vacuumed? . . . It depends on how often the cats bring in a bird and how much they spread it around... otherwise, mebbe once a month. I've just cleaned corners of my room which hadn't seen sunlight through their layers of dust in well over four months. Yikes.
4. Which room in your house do you spend the most time in? . . . It's a toss-up between the lounge and my beading room. Lately I haven't spent much time at my computer (in my bedroom) because it's been too damn cold.
5. Have you read any good books lately? . . . I'm currently rereading James Clavell's Shogun
which is rather good.
6. What is your biggest source of news? (Newspaper? Television? Radio? Other?) . . . Only what I hear from my folks, really. I don't follow the news very well; it depresses me.
~ posted by Anna @ 7:12 PM